Thursday, September 24, 2009

Lime, Dill and Mustard Dress Up Grilled Chicken *heather

I have fond memories of time spent with my grandparents at their home in Lancaster county. They lived on a ridge overlooking a valley; an idyllic setting. I loved sitting on their front porch and gazing over the valley at dusk, watching the shades of light play on the rolling valleys in the distance as the different colors crept into the sky.

Grandma was a fantastic cook, and very precise hostess. Her table was always neatly and perfectly set. I remember special little touches to meals - like sweetened, shredded coconut sprinkled on top of a simple fruit cup; a trick I often use now in order to brighten up a routine side dish to a meal. I say she was a fantastic cook because she doesn't cook much anymore. She is still available with treasures of great recipes and cooking advice though, and I try to pick her brain sometimes for something new to try.

Grandma had a knack for making a few comfort food dishes. I remember her potato salad and still wish I could master it's zesty goodness. She would melt red hots into applesauce for a tasty side dish and her Christmas cookies were always unique and tasty. I'm getting closer to the recipe, I promise.

One summer evening we grilled on their back porch. She basted her chicken with Helmans Dijonaise. I'm not sure if Helmans still even makes this product, but I make my own version of this dressing to fancy up a simple chicken breast.

Two boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Rinse and pat dry. (I like to take the big, fat breasts from the grocery store and slice them in half, to make two thinner breasts. They take less time to cook that way, and make a more healthy portion.)
2 Tbsp Dijon style mustard
2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
a few sprigs fresh dill, chopped or 1 tsp dried dill
1 Tbsp lime juice
* a little disclaimer here: I estimated the quantities for the ingredients because I usually add a little dash here and an extra pinch there until it looks right. I haven't made this in more than two months, so my memory is a little foggy.

In a small bowl, whisk the ingredients together. Use half the dressing to marinate your chicken, reserve the remainder to use when grilling. Since I tend to throw dinner together at the last minute, my chicken usually marinates for only the 10 minutes it takes for the grill to heat up, but you could let it sit all day in this marinade in the fridge, or up to 30 minutes at room temperature.

Place the boneless chicken breasts on an upper rack of the grill. Discard the dressing used to marinate the chicken. Brush the reserved dressing on the upper side of the chicken. The thickness of the breasts will determine how long you cook on one side. I usually flip after 5 minutes, brushing the dressing again over the upper side. You should grill the breasts until the juices run clear, being careful not to over cook them, or they will dry out.

I served the chicken with a baked potato and grilled zucchini. These can also be done on the grill, though the potato will need a much longer time to cook. The zucchini can be tossed with some olive oil and salt and pepper, maybe a little red wine vinegar and garlic powder. Make a packet of of tin foil and place on the grill with the chicken.


No comments:

Post a Comment