Thursday, October 1, 2009

Gajillo Tortilla Soup *melissa

So, I set out to make ancho chili tortillo soup. However, my grocery store didn't have any anchos. So I crossed my fingers, improvised and chose a chile pepper that I'd never heard of before...the gajillo (gwa-HEE-yoh) chili pepper. Now, I happen to live in an area with a LARGE hispanic population so my choices of dried chiles were abundant. My knowledge of these chiles, however, is nonexistent. BUT I will learn through experimentation in my kitchen. I'm so glad my husband is a good sport about my experiments.

Here's what I found out about gajillo chiles:
they "are thick, leathery dark reddish brown chiles that contain mild to moderate amounts of heat. The guajillo is one of the most commonly grown chiles in Mexico. This chile requires a longer soaking period than most due to its leathery skin."

Now for the ingredients:

3 dried gajillo chiles (remove seeds, boil in chicken stock, let soak)
2 jalapeno pepper (seeds and ribs removed)
1 habenero pepper (seeds and ribs removed)

1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup fresh or frozen corn
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
Meat from 1 small to med. rotisserie chicken
2 tsp cumin
2tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
sea salt to taste
1 bottle/can of beer
6 cups low sodium chicken stock
corn tortillas
CHEEEEESE, shredded (I heart cheese)
**believe it or not, this soup is not spicy...mostly due to the fact that removed all ribs and seeds from the peppers.I think I'll leave a few in next time.


First, take the gajillo chiles, cut off ends with the stem, slice open and remove seeds and ribs.
Pour 4 cups of chicken stock into pot with the gajillo chiles. Bring to low boil, cover, reduce to simmer. Allow to simmer
while you prepare your other ingredients. This can be done ahead of time...as stated above these guys need a long soaking time due to their leathery skin. (You'd have leathery skin too if you spent as much time as they did out under the
hot Mexican sun.)

Next, chop onion...










Chop peppers, mince or press garlic...

**Disclaimer**this picture shows 3 habeneros...DO NOT use all three unless you're interested in burning off all your tastebuds...I just photographed them together because they made a pleasing composition.








 


"Why," you say, "is there a cat pictured here?"
Here's why: I have a weird cat. My cat loves green
bell peppers. Forget the meat! This guy goes for crunchy veggies. He comes begging whenever I'm cutting into a pepper...her practically climbs up my legs trying to get a taste. In this case he recognized the sound but didn't know I was chopping hot peppers. Needless to say, he didn't get any to munch on.


Saute onion, peppers, garlic,and corn in oilve oil in a heavy bottomed pot. Then add spices and saute a few more minutes. 




Then pour can of beer into pot to deglaze. Stir with wooden spoon to scrape up tasty bits on the bottom.




Add chicken to pot as well as the rest of the chicken stock.









Then, take the gajillo chiles and chicken stock and puree in food processor (HEED the fill to here for liquids line on your food processor or you will have a royal mess on your hands, not to mention all over your countertops and kitchen floor.)  

Add puree to soup 
and simmer 
until well incorporated.
Serve soup with strips of corn tortillas and shredded cheese. Did I mention I LOVE CHEESE? Now, in this case since this is a Mexican style soup you could go with an authentic Mexican cheese. I used what I had which was extra sharp cheddar.





1 comment:

  1. NOT FAIR. This one makes me sooo jealous. Yuengling is the greatest beer, but they won't bring it to New England. :(

    ReplyDelete