Thursday, July 23, 2009

Chipotle Rosemary Grilled Chicken *Melissa

Another huge perk about moving from our 16th floor apartment to a house with a yard has been being able to grill all the time. We have a gas grill, rather than a charcoal grill, for the convenience. But, nothing beats that smoky taste you get with charcoal. So, my friend Elisa told me about Liquid Smoke, that can be used in marinades or brushed on meats or veggies before grilling. So I put it to the test in this recipe! Also, I went to Marshalls the other day to buy some balsamic vinegar. (*tip* Marshalls is great for buying gourmet cooking oils, vinegars, jams, etc. at a fraction of their original price.) So, I stumbled upon a jar of ground chipotle chile pepper. I've been on the hunt for this FOREVER (along with smoked paprika). This particular brand is by Spice Appeal. I checked out their website and it looks like I got this can of smoked chipotle chile pepper for a steal! Chipotle peppers have a smoky flavor to them so I thought it would be a nice combo with the liquid smoke. For a fresh and favorite zing I combined these with chopped rosemary. (By the way, this recipe is only mildly spicy.)

2 chicken breasts, halved
1Tbs chopped rosemary
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile pepper
slash of Liquid Smoke


First, slice the chicken through the center of the breast to thin out breasts. This allows for shorter grilling time. Then place in re-sealable plastic bag. (Sorry if this picture of raw meat grosses anyone out. I have to admit that as much as I love to cook, I get really grossed out by handling raw meat. I try my hardest not to touch it.)

Combine olive oil, chopped rosemary, splash of liquid smoke, and chipotle pepper ~ wisk to combine

Pour over chicken in plastic bag and toss to coat. Let marinate (in frig) over night or at least a few hours.
Place chicken on hot grill and close top. Grill approximately 5-7 minutes on each side.
And here it is! Chipotle rosemary grilled chicken! It was very tasty.....I think next time I make this I'll add a splash of lime juice to the marinade. (My light was fading for this picture. Nate usually plays ball after work and doesn't get home from the park until 8 ish. So, by this point my stomach was growling up a storm and I was working hard to keep my salivary glands under control.)






No comments:

Post a Comment